HMS Pursuer (P273)
HMS Pursuer, 2011
|Sponsored by||Ballyregan Bob|
|Status||In active service|
|Class and type||Archer class patrol vessel|
|Length||20.8 m (68 ft)|
|Beam||5.8 m (19 ft)|
|Draught||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Propulsion||2 shafts, Cat C18 ACERT diesels|
|Range||550 nmi (1,020 km)|
|Sensors and |
|Decca 1216 navigation radar|
HMS Pursuer is an Archer-class P2000 patrol and training vessel of the Royal Navy.
Pursuer was built at Vosper Thorneycroft and commissioned in 1988. The famous greyhound Ballyregan Bob was guest of honour at her launch, a unique recognition of the greyhound on her badge. Prior to 2003 Pursuer was the training vessel of Sussex University Royal Naval Unit (SUSURNU).
Pursuer and HMS Dasher were sent to Cyprus ahead of Operation Telic, the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, transported on board the CEC Mayflower. The Royal Navy Cyprus Squadron was created in February 2003 to protect ships around the Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus, a vital staging post in the British logistic chain to Iraq. Both were fitted with Kevlar armour and three FN MAG General Purpose Machine Guns, with an extra crew member (compared to the P2000s assigned to URNU duties) employed as a Gunners Yeoman. In 2007 she helped rescue the fishing vessel Seafighter3 which had run aground on Cape Zevgari.
The Cyprus Squadron was disbanded in 2010 and Pursuer was assigned to the Faslane Patrol Boat Squadron, protecting the ballistic missile submarines at HMNB Clyde. In September 2012 her force protection duties were taken over by the more modern HMS Tracker and she was reassigned to Glasgow URNU.
In 2020 she was posted to Gibraltar Squadron.
- ↑ "Patrol Boats – Archer class". Royal Navy. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- ↑ "Archer Class P2000 (URNU)". Armed Forces.net. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- ↑ "Flare from Pursuer". Navy News. October 2007. p. 4.
- ↑ https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/june/22/200622-hms-pursuer-and-dasher-prepare-for-rock-mission
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Pursuer (P273).|
- "HMS Pursuer". Royal Navy.
- Pages with script errors
- Articles with short description
- Use British English from January 2017
- Articles with invalid date parameter in template
- MMSI Number
- Pages with broken file links
- Commons category link is defined as the pagename
- Archer-class patrol vessels
- All stub articles
- United Kingdom naval ship stubs