HMS Newt (shore establishment)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Newhaven, East Sussex|
|Coordinates||50°47′10″N 0°03′07″E / 50.786165°N 0.052000°E|
|Type||Combined Operations Base|
|Controlled by||United Kingdom|
HMS Newt was a shore establishment of the Royal Navy during World War II, based at Newhaven, East Sussex.
It was commissioned on 15 October 1942 as a base for Combined Operations Landing Craft, and consisted of Hards at Seaford and Sleepers Hole (Newhaven Marina), with accommodation on nearby Fort Road. From March 1945 it was used by Naval Parties assigned to "Operation Eclipse" (the capture of ports in northern Germany). Newt was decommissioned on 22 June 1945.
- ↑ Warlow, Ben (1992). Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy. Liskeard, Cornwall: Maritime Books. ISBN 0-907771-52-1.