HMS Victorious (S29)
|Laid down||3 December 1987|
|Launched||29 September 1993|
|Commissioned||7 January 1995|
|Status||In active service|
|Class and type||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement||15,900 tonnes, submerged|
|Length||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed||In excess of 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), submerged|
|Range||Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
HMS Victorious is the second Vanguard-class submarine of the Royal Navy. Victorious carries the Trident ballistic missile, the UK's nuclear deterrent.
Victorious was built at Barrow-in-Furness by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd, later BAE Systems Submarine Solutions, was launched in September 1993, and commissioned in January 1995.
In November 2000, while travelling on the surface, Victorious grounded on Skelmorlie Bank in the upper Firth of Clyde in Scotland.
She became the second of the class to refit, during which time she was fitted with a Core H reactor ensuring that the boat will not need to refuel again until the end of its service life. In 2008, she underwent sea trials before resuming patrols in 2009.
In 2013, Victorious completed the UK's 100th deterrent patrol by a Vanguard class submarine.
- The Highlanders, 4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland
- Letters of last resort
- List of submarines of the Royal Navy
- List of submarine classes of the Royal Navy
- Nuclear weapons and the United Kingdom
- Royal Navy Submarine Service
- Submarine-launched ballistic missile
- Trident nuclear programme
- ↑ "Vanguard class submarine". Royal Navy.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004–2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- ↑ Peter Luff, Minister for Defence Equipment, Support & Technology (2 November 2010). "Nuclear Submarines: Accidents". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. col. 693W–694W.
- ↑ "HMS Victorious". Royal Navy. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- ↑ "HMS Victorious leaves Plymouth after three-year refit". justplymouth.com. 10 July 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- ↑ "Victorious summer ends with divisions for submarine's crew". Royal Navy. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Victorious (S29).|
- Pages with script errors
- Articles with short description
- Use dmy dates from March 2017
- Articles with invalid date parameter in template
- Use British English from March 2017
- Pages with broken file links
- Commons category link is defined as the pagename
- Official website not in Wikidata
- Vanguard-class submarines
- Ships built in Barrow-in-Furness
- 1993 ships
- Submarines of the United Kingdom